The Costa Maya offers a variety of activities to visitors who want to combine an unspoiled environment with sports & culture:
What Activities to do around Mahahual:
- * Take a snorkel tour with Dive and Adventures, our in-house dive shop. Luis Amezcua will take you with the catamaran out snorkeling in front of our hotel. A snorkel and sailing tour in one!
- * If you are a diver you came to the right place. One, two or even three tanks, its up to you . Luis can take you to many beautiful dive spots in front of our coast.
- * When you are new to diving but want to try it, a discover dive is exactly what you need. With some theory and a very shallow dive you can decide if diving is your thing or not!
- * Costa Maya is also excellent for Deep sea and fly fishing. We can get you into contact with one of the locals. Most of them have been fisherman before they started to work in tourism. They know all the good places to fish. They have been organizing fishing tours for many years. Personal service for small groups.
Other activities to do around Maya Luna are:
- * Swimming
- * Windsurfing
- * Bird watching on the solitary beaches & rivers. At Rio Bermejo the water of the Mangrove flows into the seawater. Most of the time you can see a lot of birds like pelicans, fregat birds, ibis and herons
- * Stand up paddling.
- * Parasailing (only on cruise ship days).
- * Banana boat (only on cruise ship days).
- * Boat trips to the Chinchorro Bank (You need a minimum of 6 persons to go there)
- * Kayak tours on Rio Houach.
- * Boat trips to the Cays of Belize.
Horse riding is an activity that IS NOT POSSIBLE AT THIS MOMENT IN MAHAHUAL
Daytrips to Bacalar and around Chetumal
- Explore ancient Mayan sites like Chacchoben Oxtankah and Kohunlich. All in day reach of Hotel Maya Luna.
- One of the highly recommended activities: visit the “Lake of Seven Colors” of Bacalar.
- Kayak/canoe trips, bicycle tours, jungle walks in Bacalar. Contact Active nature, a small, personal tour operator. Jaqueline and Gunnar are a German couple working from Villas Ecotucan in Bacalar.
- Cenote Azul, near the Lake of Bacalar. A 90 meters deep cenote surrounded by beautiful vegetation. Excelent swimming.
Activities for rainy days
- Visit the zoo and the Mayan Museum in Chetumal. With interactive exhibits of Mayan Culture. Closed on mondays, for Mexican citizens free on sundays.
- Visit the Belize Duty free zone. There are several casinos in this area.