The Costa Maya offers a variety of activities to visitors who want to combine an unspoiled environment with sports & culture:
Activities around Mahahual:
• Swimming, windsurfing, sailing.
• Deep sea and flyfishing fishing. We can get you into contact with one of the locals. Most of them have been fisherman before they started to work in tourism. They know all the good places to fish. They have been organizing fishing tours for many years. Personal service for small groups.
• Snorkeling & Diving.
• Bird watching on the solitary beaches & rivers. At Rio Bermejo the water of the Mangrove flows into the seawater. Most of the time you can see a lot of birds like pelicans, fregat birds, ibis and herons.
• Stand up paddling.
• Parasailing (only on cruiseship days).
• Banana boat (only on cruiseship days).
• Swimming with dolphins.
• Boat trips to the Chinchorro Bank. You need a minimum of 6 persons to go there.
• Kayak tours on Rio Houach.
• Boat trips to the Cays of Belize.
• Horse riding is an activity that IS NOT POSSIBLE AT THIS MOMENT IN MAHAHUAL
Daytrips to Bacalar and around Chetumal
• Explore ancient Mayan sites like Chacchoben, Oxtankah and Kohunleach. All in day reach of Hotel Maya Luna.
• One of the highly recomended activities: visit the “Lake of Seven Colors” of Bacalar.
• Kayak/canoe trips, bicycle tours, jungle walks in Bacalar. Contact Active nature, a small, personal tour operator. Run by a German couple from Villas Ecotucan in Bacalar.
• Cenote Azul, near the Lake of Bacalar. A 90 meters deep cenote surrounded by beautiful vegetation. Excelent swimming.
Activities for rainy days
• Visit the zoo and the Mayan Museum in Chetumal. With interactive exhibits of Mayan Culture. Closed on mondays, for Mexican citizens free on sundays.
• Visit the Belize Duty free zone. There are several casinos in this area.